Last updated: June 2020
1. About this policy
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to carry out the functions and activities of our business. These functions and activities include:
- Advertising and selling our products
- Conducting promotional campaigns for our products
- Sending electronic marketing communications to individuals and business that have consented to receiving these
- Providing services in relation to our products
- Post-service or post-purchase follow-ups
- Dealing with requests, queries and complaints
- Administering our business including Viega’s website
- Recruiting new employees
3. Collection of your personal information
The personal information we collect may include your name, your employer’s company or business name, your job title, your address (or your state and postcode), your telephone number and email address, purchase information in relation to products you have purchased, details of products you are interested in, and business information such as the size of your business.
If you apply for employment by us we may collect additional personal information in relation to you including your educational and employment history and information provided by your referees.
3.1 Direct collection
The main way we collect your personal information is when you knowingly and voluntarily provide it to us, including when you:
register or provide information on our websites;
establish an account with us (on your own behalf or on behalf of your business);
- purchase products or services from us;
- enter into a promotion;
- download our app at a trade show or other event;
- participate in a program, poll, message board, survey or questionnaire;
- subscribe to our mailing list or agree to receive our newsletters or other materials, including promotional materials;
- ask us questions or request information about our products, services, offers or features or make a complaint;
- request or receive customer or technical support; or
- apply for employment with us (either personally or through an employment agency).
3.2 Indirect collection
We may also collect information from third parties, for example where you are referred to us by an existing customer, a consultant, a selling agent or retailer. We may also collect personal information from publicly available sources to enable us to contact stakeholders who may be interested in our goods or services. However, in these circumstances we will endeavour to contact you before your details are entered into our system.
If you apply for employment with us we may collect your personal information from a recruiter engaged by us, from an employment agency you use, and from any referees you nominate.
3.3 Sensitive Information
We do not actively seek to collect sensitive information from you. We will not disclose sensitive information (such as information about your health, racial or ethical origins or political or religious beliefs) except with your specific consent or in circumstances permitted under Australian privacy legislation.
We do not require personal information for you to use our products or gain access to our websites. However, you will not be able to use certain features of our websites that require registration, enter trade promotions or receive materials such as marketing communications unless such information is provided. Further, our ability to meet our obligations to you, to provide services in relation to our products, or process any request, complaint or application by you, may be adversely affected if you do not give us the requested personal information, or if the information you give us is incomplete or inaccurate.
3.5 Collection through our websites
Viega’s public website, https://www.viega.com.au/en/homepage.html, is hosted in Australia. There are a number of ways in which we collect information though our website.
We use a pixel integrated into every page of our website to collect data about your interaction with our website. The sole purpose of collecting your data in this way is to improve your experience when using our site. The types of data we collect include:
- your device’s IP address*
- Internet service provider
- Browser resolution and language
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- device type, operating system and browser information
- geographic location (city)
- referring domain
- search terms and pages visited on our website
- data retrieved, including amount of data retrieved
- date and time when pages were accessed on our website
- Cookies on/off
- Number and location of clicks
*We save your IP address in shortened, anonymous form that is used only to recognise your session, city and to avert attacks. Unless you have logged on to our website, your IP address will be deleted within an hour of the end of your session, so that the data captured (as listed above) is anonymous.
Purpose of collection and use of your personal information
Once collected, your information is forward to our statistics service provider, Webtrekk GmbH (Webtrekk), who evaluates the data so that we can optimise our offering accordingly.
Cookies are small data files transferred onto computers or devices by websites. Viega uses both session-specific cookies to enhance functionality on the website and ‘permanent’ cookies, which expire after a few months, which remain on your computer even after you end your session on our website – this enables Viega to recognise you the next time you visit our website.
However, most browsers allow you to choose whether to accept cookies or not. If you do not wish to have cookies placed on your computer, please set your browser preferences to reject all cookies before accessing our website.
You acknowledge and consent to the use and disclosure of your personal information in circumstances that are:
- explained to you at the time the information is collected from you; or
- required or permitted by law.
We may use the personal information that you give to us:
- to improve our products, services or internal processes;
- for reasonable business purposes including customer service, record keeping, transaction and order fulfilment, marketing, research, auditing our internal operations, and to resolve product satisfaction claims;
- to provide you with products, services, newsletters or information that you have requested;
- to send you occasional offers or information on products (current or new) or services or features, offers, promotions, contests or events that we consider may be of interest to you;
- to send you information on enhancements or functional changes to our websites or policies, or other information about Viega; or
- for any other purpose that is stated to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise authorise.
We may disclose personal information that we collect from you to a third party:
to meet the purpose for which it was collected including to provide you with products, services or prizes;
if we have your consent to disclose the information;
- to assist with the operation and support of our information technology systems including website operations, online product fulfilment, the operation of our Viega app, email services and other technical support;
- if we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information, including for example to comply with a court order or regulatory investigation;
- in the event of a merger, acquisition or any other change in ownership of all or a portion of Viega’s business (in which case your personal information may be transferred to the new owner so that the business can continue its operations);
- to protect the safety and security of our customers and our websites;
- to enable us to deal with any concern, issue or complaint you have raised with us, including disclosing details of any such matter to Viega’s related bodies corporate overseas and also to professional advisors, insurers and service providers; or
- if your personal information is collected in connection with a joint promoter or service provider, to that organisation for marketing and research purposes, but only if that disclosure was disclosed to you at or before the time of collection.
Viega allows you to tell us the way in which you would like us to use your personal information. For example, direct marketing materials sent to you by Viega will give you the ability to unsubscribe.
5. Disclosure of personal information overseas
We may deal with third parties such as service providers or related bodies corporate that are located overseas. As a result, your personal information may be disclosed to a recipient in a foreign country, including but not limited to Viega’s parent company and Webtrekk, both located in Germany. We will take reasonable steps, in the circumstances, before disclosing personal information to an overseas recipient to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach Australian privacy laws in relation to that information.
6. Security, Accuracy and Access
We will take reasonable technical and organisational steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is:
- accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading;
- stored in a secure environment; and
- protected from misuse, interference and loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If any of your details change, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact details below so we can maintain the accuracy of your personal information.
From time to time we review our security procedures to consider appropriate new technology and methods. However please appreciate that despite our best efforts, no security measure is perfect or impenetrable due to the nature of email and the internet, and we cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of your personal information.
You have a right to access personal information we hold about you (other than employee records). We will comply with any valid request to access your personal information made under the Privacy Act, except where the Privacy Act or the Australian Privacy Principles allow us to refuse to do so. There is no fee for making a request to access your personal information but we may charge a fee for giving you access to your personal information in a mutually agreed format, usually by sighting the accessible information held on file.
You also have a right to ask us to correct personal information about you (other than your employee records) that is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading. If we refuse such a request to correct your personal information, we will notify you in writing of the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to do so) and, upon request from you, we will attach a note recording the correction that you sought to the relevant information, so that it can always be read with that information.
Any requests for access to, or correction of, your personal information should be made directly by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.In every case where we receive a request to either provide access to, or correct, personal information concerning you, we will inform you of the action taken as a result of that request (whether or not the request is granted).
7. Contact us
If you have any questions, comments or complaints about how we handle your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com. You can also contact us at:
Data Security Official
Via Consult GmbH & Co. KG
Mr. Karsten Kunde
+49 (2761) 83 75 11
We will consider and respond to any complaint notified to us within a reasonable time.
In case of dissatisfaction with a response from us you may decide to contact the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992